Do thoughts of nasty microbes on your dishes scare you? Does your machine have the skill to kill them?
With a basic dishwasher, you can surely get all food gunk and grimes wiped off. However, it’s not powerful enough to put the microbes to sleep.
So if you are afraid of them, then get yourself the best sanitizing dishwasher. It will use the sanitize cycle to heat the water at 150°F or more, kill them on the dishes and help prevent illnesses.
Since the options are endless, we have picked top 5 of them to let you know which ones are ruling the market.
Comparison Chart For Top 5 Sanitizing Dishwashers
Best Sanitizing Dishwasher Reviews
1. EdgeStar BIDW1802SS
Apart from all the common features, EdgeStar BIDW1802SS came up with leakage sensor that makes it different from its competitors. This function automatically shuts off water flow if it detects any leak and helps prevent damage.
It has 8 place settings that let you put various items and dishes at different spots. The machine has a separate tray for cups and silverware baskets for cutleries to give them a deep wash.
There are 6 wash cycles that you can pick depending on the kind of dish and dirt you have. If you’re in hurry, the dishwasher has 1-hour program to do the work rapidly.
Its sanitize mode is super-efficient when it comes to performance. It heats the warm water to a constant 156°F which is enough to disinfect all the heavy loads. Other heating elements such as High Temperature and Heated Dry also help in the process and work to leave the dishes dry and odor-free.
The only problem is that you need to choose the settings every time since it doesn’t save them. In case it bothers you, check out Frigidaire Gallery FGID2468UF that has save option.
Having said that, this 18-inch EdgeStar BIDW1802SS is a solid and effective dishwasher you can get. Its Stainless-steel material is not only of high-quality but rust-resistant.
- Leakage sensor prevents damage by turning off water-flow.
- 3 options of heating elements help disinfect and dry the dishes.
- 8 place settings for accommodating different items.
- 6 wash cycles including 1-hour rapid program deliver effective cleaning.
2. Danby DDW1804EB
Keep your dishes in the pink with Danby DDW1804EB. This 18-inch dishwasher is compact enough to be kept in tight space while saving some. Similar to previous one, it has 8 place settings which is enough for holding dishes as well as a tray for cups and a silverware basket for cutleries.
There will be 6 wash cycles to give your dishes an efficient wash. The rapid program will last 1 hour 45 minutes. It’s quite quick if you keep yourself busy.
Apart from that, the unit possesses 5 hot temperature options. One of them is the Sanitize cycle that uses water of up to 156°F so it can disinfect your dishes professionally.
Its Smart wash system is a big plus. The machine uses the system to pick the best cycle by automatically detecting the level of dirt. This feature also saves water and energy that makes it ‘Smart’.
There is a delay start feature that lets you schedule the cleaning operation. You can make the unit clean your dishes conveniently during off peak hours without your involvement.
Setting up the dishwasher is slightly complicated if you’re new. In that case, it’s better to follow the instructions carefully. This way, you can install the machine smoothly.
- Smart wash system auto-selects the best cycle for effective washing.
- 8 place settings for holding different items.
- 5 heating elements for sanitizing and making the dish squeaky clean.
- 6 wash cycles including 1.75-hour rapid cycle.
3. Frigidaire Gallery FGID2468UF
Enjoy a wide range of cleaning options with Frigidaire Gallery FGID2468UF. It comes with 8 wash cycles designed for cleaning different levels of dirt.
One is ‘My Favorite’ that lets you set your preferred options and cycle into one button. With this, you don’t repeatedly have to press all the buttons anymore. Then there is China/Crystal wash cycle that makes sure it uses rather warm water to give a gentler wash action and protect delicate dishes. In case you have to clean the stuff quickly, then choose ‘Quick Wash’ to wrap up the work effectively for you in just 25 minutes.
It comes with a big capacity. This 24-inch machine has 8 place settings to house lots of dirty dishes. It has spots for plates, glasses, cups and cutleries.
As for the heating elements, the dishwasher has 4 modes. First one is the ‘No heat dry’ option that you can choose if your load has both the delicate and solid items. There is a Sahara Dry cycle that combines forced air system and heat to leave the dishes super dry.
One of the factors that makes it different from other rivals is that it has a unique Sanitize Option. Being NSF-Certified, it makes sure the dishes get the same level of sterilization that a hospital autoclave provides.
Although the unit is constructed with Granite Plastic, it is solid enough to last years. If you are more of a stainless-steel person, you can check other 3 on the list.
- 14 place settings to house multiple dishes and cutleries.
- 8 wash cycles for different kinds of dirt and dishes including My Favorite,25-minute Quick Wash and China/Crystal.
- 4 heating elements include High-Temp, NSF-Certified Sanitize, Sahara Dry and No heat dry.
- Made of high-quality Granite Plastic.
4. Cosmo COS-DIS6502
Sensitive to hums? Then pick this amazing dishwasher from Cosmo that will run at just 45dB. It comes with a pre-installed sound insulating pad that lowers the noise to give you a tranquil cleaning operation.
Coming in 24 inches, it’s quite big. You will have 12 place settings to put multiple dishes even if they are of irregular sizes.
As for the wash cycles, there are 4 options to choose from. Its Heavy wash is great. It will work to remove the stubborn dirt from your dishes. You can pick its 1-hour Express cycle too if the stains are light.
There is a Sanitize Rinse that uses the hottest water at 158°F and disinfects your dishes effectively. Plus, it has this heated dry in case you don’t want to dry the dishes separately.
Its Multiple filter system is one of the most-love features. The function separates dirty and clean water to help in saving water. As a result, it saves energy.
Installing the dishwasher can be a pain. If you know the basics, you would find the steps simple but time-consuming. Once you’re done with the setup, it will be very easy to use.
- 12 place settings for accommodating different dishes.
- Operates the cleaning cycle as low as 45dB.
- 4 wash cycles for handling a variety of dirt and dishes including 1-hour Express Cycle.
- Heating elements include Sanitize Rinse and Heated dry for disinfecting and drying the dishes.
5. Frigidaire FFBD1831UB
Replace your old dishwasher with this solid unit from Frigidaire. FFBD1831UB ensures thorough cleaning of your dishes thanks to its dual spray arm system. Couple it with any of the 6 wash cycles and say goodbye to all the food filths. It has both the heavy program for the toughest dirt and 1-hour rapid program for light food soil.
Worried about bacteria? Combine sanitize cycle and normal wash. This will heat up the water of up to 150°F and uses its spray to kill them all. There will be ‘High Temp’ and ‘Heat Dry’ options included so you can adjust the cycle according to your needs.
Although it’s a plastic-based unit, you will love its long-lasting performance. We have also listed stainless-steel units if you are not a fan of plastics.
As for the capacity, the machine can hold up to 8 place settings which is quite lower than the FGID2468UF. If you don’t have lots of dishes to clean, then it will be a great unit to have.
Coming in just 18 inches, this unit can be easily fit under your counter. Not just that, it will save a big space too.
- Dual spray arms system to deliver thorough wash to the dishes.
- 6 wash cycles for different types of dishes and dirt with 1-hour Wash option.
- 3 modes of heating elements to sanitize and dry the dishes.
- Holds up to 8 place settings for items of different sizes and types.
Best Sanitizing Dishwasher Buying Guide
Sanitizing dishwasher can have up to 14 or more place settings. If you have lots of dishes, cups, and implements to stuff, then opt for a unit with bigger capacity. It will be great if your dishwasher has adjustable racks. You would get to enjoy more flexibility while placing the items.
However, if you think the amount of dishes you daily clean is somewhat less, then opt for the lower capacity one. There are many dishwashers available that can hold up to 8 place settings.
Make sure to get NSF-Certified sanitization cycle built-in dishwashers. It’s because such certification proves the efficiency of the sanitization.
Although this mode can be used for different items, it’s more ideal for cutting boards or baby bottles.
Heated Or Sahara Dry
It’s essential that the unit has this mode. The program adds forced hot air so that it turns moisture on the items into steam to blow them out. Not only it would help in speeding up the drying time but also leave your sanitized dishes squeaky clean.
- Rapid Wash- It does the job of cleaning your dishes quickly in 25 to 105 minutes. The rapid cycle mainly uses excessive amount of heat or water or both. If your items are lightly soiled, then it will be a great feature for that. This cycle can have other names like Express, Quick or Turbo wash.
- China/Crystal Wash- Delicate items like china or crystal dishes, glasses and cups need extra care. This mode uses the spray gently so that it doesn’t damage them.
- Eco Wash- This is an environment-friendly mode. It uses lesser water and energy by lowering the temperature down to 113°F. The mode skips the heating phase as well to save the energy.
- Daily Wash- It’s ideal for washing moderately-soiled items. The mode runs without the use of extra heat and water for saving energy.
- Heavy Wash- This mode is simply for ultra dirty dishes that need thorough soaking. It uses more water and energy to help deep-clean crusted pots or plates than the Eco or Normal wash.
- Rinse Wash- Rinse wash is an ideal mode in case your dishes need some pre-wash works. It works to loosen the grime on the stuff so that cleaning them becomes easier. The program mainly helps prevent food gunk from sticking to your dishes. Just make sure you avoid using detergent for this cycle.
- Automatic- Automatic is one of the high-tech functions that initiates the optimal cycle automatically by detecting the dirt-level on the dishes. It can have another common name which is known by Sensor Cycle.
Choose a sanitizing dishwasher that will fit into the space where you are planning to install. Sizes can go from 16 to 24 inches. So, it’s important that you measure the location at first and then opt for one accordingly.
What Is The Sanitize Cycle On Dishwasher?
Dishwasher with Sanitize cycle uses hotter water so that it disinfects the dishes by killing 99% of soil bacteria such as salmonella, E. coli, and listeria. Since it works to deep-clean the pits of grease, burnt-on stains, and leftover food particles, the duration will be longer.
The cycle basically increases the temperature during the main wash and ends with the highest temperature during final rinse. It can add up to 1 hour 30 minutes more to the cycle.
According to National Sanitation Foundation, a product testing company, the dishwasher should heat water at 150°F at least to be considered effective. However, some units use hotter water than that. If your dishwasher falls in the range, then it means that the unit is NSF-certified.
It may also come labeled as Antibacterial Cycle or Sani-Wash depending on the model type you get.
How Do You Use The Sanitize Cycle On A Dishwasher?
At first, you press any one of the wash cycles from the unit. Note that, it won’t work with Rapid and Delicate options.
Then, select the sanitize cycle. As you press the program, your dishwasher will use the hot water and heats it up even more.
After that, press the start button. During this period, an electrical heating element will work to lift the heavy grimes from the items.
Make sure to add some detergents into the dishwasher so that it makes the cleaning job more efficient.
After the cycle is complete, the Sanitize indicator will be lit up.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
1. Do Dishwashers Really Sanitize?
Of course. The standard temperature of water should be 140°F or more to kill the germ or bacteria. Once the water reaches that range, killing those tiny living organisms will be easy.
Since it’s impossible to even touch the water and clean the dishes with your hands, manufactures have designed dishwashers with Sanitize Cycle.
With this, the unit uses an extended hot water rinse to heat it at 150°F or more to kill germs and bacteria.
2. What Is The Best Way To Sanitize A Dishwasher?
The ideal way to Sanitize a dishwasher is to combine white vinegar and normal wash cycle.
- Start with an empty machine. Then, fill a mug with two-thirds of white vinegar.
- After that, place it on the top rack of the unit.
- Run it on the normal wash cycle with hot water. That’s it.
The vinegar will loosen grease, food particles and soap scum from the racks and walls of the unit and help wash them down.
Meanwhile, normal cycle heats the temperature of up to 140°F, so it will sanitize the dishwasher with ease.
3. Which Dishwasher Gets Dishes The Cleanest?
The Sanitize Cycle of Cosmo COS-DIS6502 is quite amazing when it comes to getting your dishes the cleanest. It heats up the water at 158°F to kill the bacteria and germs with ease.
It has 12 wash cycles that work great with different levels of dirt or dishes. Starting from light to the toughest stains, this machine will remove them for you.
No matter what dishes you put in, Cosmo COS-DIS6502 would make them spotless.
4. Do Most Dishwashers Sanitize?
Yes, you will find many dishwashers that feature sanitize cycle to kill the bacteria or germ on the dishes. Lots of brands including EdgeStar, Frigidaire, and Bosch have incorporated this program in their machines.
However, make sure to check whether the unit you’re planning to buy has the option.
5. Is The Antibacterial Cycle Different Than The Sanitize Cycle?
No, it’s actually the same cycle that has been labeled differently.
Some dishwashers like the models of GE have Antibacterial Cycle. It works to kill 99% of bacteria and germ as it reaches temp of at 150°F just like what Sanitize Cycle does.
Sanitize cycle is one of the most useful features a dishwasher can have. Not only it kills the microbes but also helps you avoid several illnesses so you can stay healthy.
The 5 products we have listed here can heat up the water from 150° to 156°F that is efficient enough to disinfect the dishes. So, hopefully, you would get the best sanitizing dishwasher from here no matter what you pick.